Seriously, I was really struggling with the smell in my garbage can because, let's just be honest, my outside can is almost miles away (OK, I'm exaggerating here, but it feels that way) and it was winter so I decided to zip up a diaper instead of taking it out. Later, when opening the can to dispose of something random, I realized that I wasn't blown away by the noxious gases that should have been emanating from my waste can. Hence and therefore, I now zip away all undesirables. Sounds wasteful and horribly un"recyclable" eh? Well, the diapers aren't going to decompose any time soon, so why not lock away the smell for the duration? That's what I figured, and since Ziploc's are so cheap...especially in bulk at Costco, it literally costs just a few dollars a month to do this. I don't know about you, but if someone had come to me and said "Give me five dollars and I'll stop the garbage stench", I'd passed the bill over in a heart beat.
BTW, whenever I use baggies for something that makes them "reusable" (like craft projects for the school etc.) those are the bags I use...so it's a little "green" right? Actually, the more I think of it...I'm decreasing airbore pollutants...yay me!
6 comments:
YOu know what, Jansen always has a snack at playtime and it's always in a bag and he also poops his pull up at play time so I started putting it in his empty snack bag! I love it too! Funny story, my friend was telling me today that she sometimes puts them in empty cereal boxes and sets them by the door till she takes them out (I've done the same thing) and apparently her husband got mixed up and put "a box" away because she went to pour some cereal last night from a box she got from the cupboard and there were 2 poopy diapers in there...and no cereal of course. Ha ha.
LOVE IT! Hey after changing how many poopy diapers we can so do WHATEVER we want-green or not!
And of course you can still my widgets--where do you think I got them from!!!
Jessica, that is the funniest story ever!
I grew up in Oregon where being environmentally aware is a way of life. I have also learned that people can be "green" to a fault. I just think it's important to have balance.
I also think that where poopy-doops are concerned, forget the planet........save your nose! Your idea is a good one Ang.
P.S. In an effort to be more kind to Mother Earth, I tried using cloth diapers with Boo-Boo. It lasted exactly one hour. I didn't even wash the soiled diaper. I just threw it away and used the rest for burp rags. Now that's recycling!
With babe # 3 I discovered Sassy Sacks. http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Baby-Disposable-Diaper-Sacks/dp/B0007V644S They are blue and they are scented like baby powder. I tried using a diaper genie with Drake, but it was too much of a pain. Alas, I think Wal-Mart doesn't carry them anymore. I did find some at a K-Mart before babe # 4 was born.
that is a fabulous idea! I stick mine right outside in a baggie then walk them over to the garbage. SICK! I know :) Maybe i will try this instead so I don't have a baggie of diapers outside my house.
I always "recycle" my old grocery sacks for this very purpose. I stick the stinky diaper in, twist the top & then fold the remaining portion on top over the diaper again...so it's double sealed in there. It's free, it's green, & it saves my nose, too!
Post a Comment