Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Play Dough!

So, here's the scoop. I'm at home with my little daughter "sweet and sour", and she's driving me nuts because she is bored and tired of the crummy weather. I don't want to bundle her up and take her anywhere, so I decide to make playdough. I'm a little worried, because I'm not in the mood for a mess, but I found this recipe that turned out to be PERFECT!

Here goes:

On medium heat, combine 1 cup of warm water, 1 cup of flour, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 1 tsp oil, 1/4 cup salt.


Stir constantly, this only takes minutes to work!

Once the ingredients are combined and somewhat smooth, add food coloring. I add several drops because I don't like faded dough!



Keep stirring until mixture works itself together and forms a ball....just like this:



Take it out and knead it to get out all the lumps and get the color mixed in thoroughly.




Here's the result! Happy kids!





Sweet and Sour is making her dolphin "swim". This kept her happy for a good hour and I stored it away in plastic bags and it was still super smooth and soft when older sisters "Sugar" and "Spice" returned home from school several hours later....I should go find the bags and see how it is several days later! All in all, it's about a 5-10 minute process from beginning to end! Enjoy!






2 comments:

Jessi said...

I am going to try this tomorrow!

Shane's Angie said...

Made this recipe today (too young for the first day of school blues!) and it worked great, I didn't add the food coloring until I divided the dough in thirds, and then I just kneaded it in. Took less than 5 minutes!