- An older lady in the ward said that she never soaks her beans, she just adds about 1/4-1/2 tsp. of baking soda to the beans & then she cooks them as usual. The baking soda helps the beans to soften.
- Add one teaspoon of salt per cup of dry beans that you cook.
- Use three times the amount of water as beans (ie. use 3 cups of water per 1 cup of beans).
- Also, if you want to use dry beans in a recipe, a little less than a cup of dried beans is the equivalent to a can of beans that you'd buy in the store.
- If you do remember to soak your beans, add a spoonful of garlic or a couple cloves of crushed garlic to the water & it is supposed to reduce the gassiness of the beans.
Here are a couple of yummy recipes that you can try:
Crockpot Refried Beans
3 c. dry pinto beans
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. salt
8 1/2 c. water
1/2 jalapeno, minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. taco seasoning (opt.)
Combine all ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker. Cover & cook on medium-high for 8 hours.
Drain out most of the water. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding back in some of the liquid if needed.
*I also added 1/2 tsp. of baking soda when I made this recipe. We had bean burritoes for dinner & my kids absolutely loved them. If it makes more than your family will eat you can always freeze it in quart size ziploc bags & defrost them when you're ready to use them.
Basic Beans
3 c. dry beans (you can use any type, I used black, pinto & white)
9 c. water
3 tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or crockpot. Cover & cook on medium heat for 8 hours.
*This is the recipe I use when I make my Taco Soup & Chili from "scratch". Once the beans are soft (which really only takes about 6 hours on low for me) I make Taco Soup by browning 1 lb. hamburger and add it to the beans. Then I add 2 small cans of tomato sauce, 1 regular can diced tomatoes, & 1/2 to 1 packet of taco seasoning (to taste) and put the lid back on & let it cook until it is heated through (about 30 minutes). I serve it with cheese, sour cream, & tortilla chips and my family loves it!
5 comments:
This is great information. I actually really like beans so I am going to print this out and USE IT! Maybe I'll gradute from canned beans!
Wow! Thanks for simplifying that! I've heard about those dried beans and thought it was way too intense for me...but scared no more! I'm gonna try it out!
Yay! Thanks for the new bean recipies! Yum!
I'm so glad you posted about this!!! I've always wanted to know more about dry beans... thanks! I'm printing this info out for my food storage folder!
I actually really REALLY appreciate this because I know beans are GREAT food storage but I never know what to do with them so THANK YOU! Now I will start stocking up with beans!
Post a Comment