Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm in a Jam!

Hey Carers and Sharers, I did this post last year on my private blog, and I made some Jam yesterday so I thought you could use this tutorial on the EASIEST homemade jam recipe EVAR!

ENJOY!

I'm in a jam, because this is what my kitchen looked like after my jam-making afternoon a few days ago:


Nevertheless, it is completely worth every sticky drip and drizzle on my counter! I actually have to give Carrie credit for this recipe. She is the strawberry jam maker extraordinaire, and has been making it since she inherited an amazing patch in her little home on 4th east. She has since moved from there, but continues to make super scrumptious freezer jam! So, thanks to her, here is the EASY recipe:
This recipe makes 3-4 large plastic cups worth and I use about 2 1/2 cartons (1 lb. each) for each batch. Just wash and slice off the tops.


You can crush your strawberries by hand, but I prefer a smoother jam, no big chunks, so I blend them. You should have 4 cups of pureed fruit.

This is the amazing pectin I use. It is a no cook pectin made by Ball. Just add the packet to the strawberries (the directions on the back didn't work quite as well, so I am telling you our recipe, not theirs.


Add one package of pectin and 2 cups of sugar (the recipe says 1 1/2 cups, but we found that was a little too tart...unless you have VERY sweet strawberries).


Stir for 3 minutes, then pour into cups (or any freezable, scoopable container). Allow to sit for 30 minutes to set up.




Then, put a slice of bread in your toaster. I like to smother it in this margarine. It is way yummy, non hydrogenated, and cholesterol free. I have astronomical cholesterol levels, so I have to eat something like this...but even if I didn't, I'd still use it!

AHHHHHH!!!! Jammy Whammy! Look at that delightfulness...if you were here, I would so give you a bite, but since you aren't, you could:

a. Visit me and my jam.

b. Head to Walmart where you can buy all the supplies and whip up a batch for yourself!!!

c. Sit there and wallow in self pity (please choose a or b!)

3 comments:

Jessi said...

YUMMMM! I made it and as I told you couldn't believe how easy it was! I went to walmart and got more of that pectin to do it again in a couple weeks with a different fruit. I'm so excited that I know how to make jam! Thanks for this Ang!

Missy said...

Holy Crow! I had no idea jam was easy to make! Carb Central here I come!

Lani said...

Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!