Friday, April 10, 2009

Is is Done Yet?

I used to have this oven, it was circa 1970 and it's baking temperatures fluctuated several degrees within minutes, or at least that is what I'd tell myself every time I'd burn something or undercook it. I would literally sit next to the oven, on the floor with a book, in a desperate attempt to keep the food I'd toiled over, safe.

Now I have a brand new oven, with a timer that tells me when it's been a few minutes so I can go check. But, I still open the oven door and scrutinize the contents trying to decide if it's "done". I still have a tendency to ruin anything that needs to be in the oven for any amount of time and I often pull things out prematurely in fear that they will be charbroiled if I don't.

I don't know about you, but I don't keep toothpicks around the house. I don't find the need to pick my teeth often, and if I do, I retreat to the restroom and get me some floss.

Hence and therefore, I've often found myself wondering how to determine if my brownies are done. I figured this out one desperate day.

Behold, a spaghetti noodle:
Not done yet!


Again, I fear this is something that y'all have been doing for decades, and I in my domestic inferiority have just figured it out. But, I care...so I share anyway!

2 comments:

Lani said...

I'm loving it! I think I'll go make a batch up right now to test out your latest invention!

Missy said...

I think that is a great idea! I always use a butter knife but it leaves an enormous hole. I like this much better!