Friday, March 19, 2010

Colorful Cupcakes

I saw this idea in my Family Fun magazine...which by the way, I adore, and I thought it would loads of fun for St. Patty's day treats. It's a "End of the Rainbow" cupcake. It was a little labor intensive, but VERY easy.

First, I chose a white cake mix. I loved it's fluffy texture and the very white canvas to add coloring to. I whipped up the mix and then divided it into 5 different bowls. To the bowls I added red, yellow, blue, green, and "purple" (red and blue) food dyes.



Mix it up good. The more coloring you use, the more saturated the mixed color.
Then, I use about a tablespoon of each to in a greased WHITE cupcake liner. Do one sample cupcake first to really decide how much of each color you need.
Then bake as directed and VOILA!

They turned out SUPER fun! I recommend that you put the bulk of the color in a line around the perimeter of the cupcake to really show that rainbow effect!

Now, I know that St. Patty's is over, but I think you could adapt this in so many ways! Think about all pastels for Easter, or maybe Red, White, and Blue for the 4th...I'm dreaming of the candy corn colored cupcakes I'm going to bake for Halloween! I'm so excited! I adore me a good cupcake! They don't require any utencils or plates and they are so pretty when you color them up like this!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are really cute Ang. The 4th of July ones will be super fun.

Anonymous said...

So cute Ang! Love ideas like this one. I haven't been a very good "commentor" lately but I check you everyday and love reading your blogs!