Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Tradition

So, I was thinking about a few of the new traditions I'm going to start this holiday season, and I thought it would be fun to share one of my ideas for this year. Actually, it wasn't my idea, I read it in my Family Fun magazine, but we are going to do it for the first time this year! Here's the scoop.

I will purchase several special pre-packaged treats and Christmas cards. Enough for one each week in December. Then, at the end of each family night, our little family will pile into the mini-van and head out to a new neighborhood in search of our favorite Christmas light display for the evening. We will then award the home we deem "the ultimate of the evening" with the goodies and a card thanking them for the display from our family.

I thought this would be great because we already go on so many Christmas drives each year, and I thought how much it would thrill someone to have people, maybe people they don't even know, stop by and tell them how much they appreciate their work! I'm going to scour a different neighborhood each family night so we get a variety of different types of displays, from the humble homes to the amazingly lit mansions of the Riverbottoms! It should be a blast!

What new (or tried and true!) traditions are you looking forward to this year? Would you care to share?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to thank people who put up lights, big and small. This is perfect.

Alisa said...

What a great idea. Let me know what neighborhoods you find that are spectacular. I think my little family would love to add this to our list of family traditions for X-mas.