I've had quite the
sabbatical lately from the blogging world, but I have a few ideas for those of you still needing to travel this summer!
So, our drive back from Bear Lake this summer was nothing short of traumatic. Poor Sweet and Sour had Bobble Head Syndrome in her
car seat as she struggled falling asleep while her head swayed back and forth, and Sugar and Spice struggled finding a comfortable place to put their heads without
sacrificing their blankets. I didn't bring full size pillows because they take up so much room, and when you are staying in a hotel, it kinda seems redundant. So, I decided to make them some travel pillows that were small and matched their favorite blankets from grandma.
The older gals just got square pillows, with little ribbon tongues and tails, and buttons sewn in along with a few randomly placed appendages. The result was something very whimsical and animal-like that they loved:

Sweet and Sour needed something to correct the
BHS problem, so hers is a neck pillow, sewn into a sort of
faux animal shape too. I got the idea from this tutorial
http://makeitandloveit.blogspot.com/2009/06/neck-pillow.html
Now, after completing the pillows, I had leftover fabric which I then used to sew crayon cozies. I got this idea from my amazing friend Mary. It's just a long strip of fabric, with lines sew in to separate the crayons, and subsequently keep them from rolling all over and being crushed into millions of pieces in the vehicle carpet...hopefully.
All wrapped up with the stretchy band it looks like this:

Here's how it looks fully spread out with all the crayons in place (I made them deep enough to hold markers or pencil's too!) Let's hope this solves the "where did my crayon go?" dilemma.

So, there are just a few little things I made for our trek to Bear Lake again this weekend! Hopefully this trip will be much more comfortable!
3 comments:
Angie you know I dont sew. Where's the stapler version? Maybe my mom has that one...
Adorable. I had one of those crayon holders as a kid and loved it! I love seeing things recycling again. It was so fun to meet you! Marilyn and Meg talk about how amazing you and your sisters are! What a fun blog! Thanks for sharing!
Oh my good heck those pillows are key-YOOT! I want to hear how it all works out. I wish my children would even consider sleeping in the car. The times we had the bright idea to leave in the early wee hours so the kids could go right back to sleep in the car? Ha. Even my two-year-old on our last 12-hour drive only managed a one-hour nap, when she sleeps for twice that at home. But hmm,. . . maybe if they had adorable pillows . . .
Post a Comment